What is chiropractic?
Chiropractic (chiropractic adjustment) is a technique in which the specialists or chiropractors apply a sudden but controlled force to joints. This force is applied either through hands or through small instruments. This technique is also sometimes called a joint or spinal manipulation. The purpose of applying this controlled force is:
- to correct the alignment of the body
- to reduce the pain due to a certain disease
- to improve the spinal motion
- to improve the overall function of the body
This technique is used to treat many conditions that affect the nervous, muscular, and skeletal systems. It can help to treat neck pain, headache, muscle pains, lower back pain and pain in other joints, etc.
How chiropractic adjustment is performed?
Before doing chiropractic adjustment, the chiropractor asks about the health history and also does the physical examination. Sometimes, the chiropractor also recommends some tests or X-rays.
To perform this chiropractic adjustment, the chiropractor asks the person to sit or lie down in a particular position so that he or she can treat the affected area. Mostly, the person lies face down on a specific padded table called a chiropractic table.
Then the chiropractor applies a sudden but controlled force to the affected joint and pushes this joint beyond its normal and usual range of movement. When a chiropractor moves the joint, a popping or cracking sound can be heard. After this adjustment, some people suffer from few side effects.
But they experience these only for few days. This adjustment totally depends on the symptoms and the situation of the person.
Chiropractic Adjustment Techniques
There are a lot of techniques. But few are mentioned here:
- Gonstead Technique: This technique is used to adjust the low back or pelvis. It is used to increase the mobility of the joint and to reduce stiffness and pain.
- Activator Technique: This technique is used to treat low back pain and headaches, mostly migraines. In this technique, a small instrument is used to deliver impulses to the spine.
- Flexion-Distraction: This technique is also called decompression or cox technic manipulation. It is used to treat scoliosis, facet joint pain, disc herniations, etc.
Benefits of chiropractic adjustment
The chiropractic adjustment is a non-invasive and drug-free technique. Also, this technique has no side effects if you are getting treatment from an expert chiropractor. This technique has a lot of benefits. Some of the benefits are described below:
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Research has shown that chiropractic adjustment has the same effect on patients with high blood pressure as the effect of medications. Also, medication for high blood pressure has a lot of side-effects. For example, they cause anxiety, nausea, tiredness, dizziness, weight loss, and much more. That's why chiropractic adjustment is preferred by many doctors.
- Treats Headache: Tension headaches and migraines are very common among people and sometimes these two are caused by spinal issues and back pain. These two can be treated easily by chiropractic adjustment.
- Reduces Inflammation: Inflammation causes a lot of diseases like chronic pain, heart diseases, etc. Inflammation is also responsible for causing joint issues, pain, and tension. Research has shown that chiropractic adjustment reduces inflammation which has a lot of positive effects on the body. Like, the muscle tension also reduces and the person can also feel relief in joint pain or lower back pain. Furthermore, the risk of developing serious diseases, that are associated with high inflammation, also reduces.
- Reduces Neck Pain and Back Pain: A lot of people are suffering from neck pain and lower back pain nowadays due to excessive use of laptops and mobile phones. Some doctors recommend medications and surgeries. But these are very dangerous and expensive. It has been proved that chiropractic adjustment reduces neck pain as well as lower back pain.
- Treats Scoliosis: Scoliosis can be defined as a condition in which abnormal or sideways curvature of the spine occurs. This condition can lead to abnormal posture, reduced height, trouble in breathing, pain, etc. There are not many options for the treatment of scoliosis. But research has shown that chiropractic adjustment can be very effective in the treatment of scoliosis.
- Treats Sciatica: In sciatica, severe pain occurs in the lower back, buttocks, and legs due to a pressured or damaged sciatic nerve. Treatment of sciatica includes a lot of medication. But these medicines can be avoided by using chiropractic adjustment techniques. This technique reduces the pressure on that particular sciatic nerve. As a result, the person feels relief in pain.
- Improved Neurologic Conditions: Several studies have shown that chiropractic adjustment increases blood flow and cerebrospinal fluid. This leads to an improvement in the symptoms of neurologic conditions like epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
- Vertigo: After a neck or head injury, most people suffer from vertigo or dizziness. As a result, it becomes very difficult for them to leave the bed and do the daily tasks without feeling nausea and disorientation. Chiropractic care targets the vertebrae and joints so that they can move correctly. This also reduces the episodes of vertigo. Furthermore, chiropractic adjustment also fixes the natural balance of the body.
Health Benefits in Children
Chiropractic care can also be effective in improving certain conditions in kids. For example, acid reflux, colic, and ear infections can be treated through this technique.
- Chiropractic care improves the mobility of joints.
- It reduces the degeneration of joints.
- It also improves the circulation
- It speeds up the process of recovery in patients.
- It improves the functions of the organs and also improves immunity and digestion.
Chiropractic adjustment has various health benefits and it can be used to treat a lot of conditions and pains. Besides, this is a drug-free method.
But this technique is not suitable for every individual and its effects vary from person to person depending upon the symptoms and condition. If there is no improvement after many days of treatment, then this technique is not the best and suitable option for you.